Employee Spotlight: Thomas MathewMay 05, 2016
By his humble nature and easygoing demeanor, you may never guess the enormous weight that Thomas carries on his back each day. In between meeting with clients, speaking at conferences, and wearing multiple hats in the office, he’s busy refining our platform so that we continue meeting our users’ needs. A true visionary and master at his craft, Thomas lays down the blue prints, as well as the steel tracks, for each and every evolution of Zoomph. Side note — he continues to inspire us with his references to T. Swift. His favorite quote: “Cyberstalk because [you] care.”
— Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13) October 27, 2014
1. Before working at Zoomph, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
Selling squash gear (unsuccessfully).
2. Three words to describe the Zoomph platform:
3. Current social media trend that you adore:
“The totes amazesh way millennials are changing the English language”
4. What would people never guess that you do in your role?
I have washed dirty dishes, many times.
5. If you were to write a self-help book, what would the topic be?
6. What is your personal philosophy?
Sometimes half-full and sometimes half-empty. I am always happy by what we have accomplished as a team (half-full), but am always aspiring to keep evolving (half-empty).
7. If given a chance, who would you like to be for a day?
8. What emoji describes you best? 🚧
9. What’s your most overused word, phrase, or hashtag?
10. What is the most important thing you’ve learned in the last five years?
When building a product, you should get as much face-time with customers as you possibly can. Also: jump-rope cross-overs (yes, an old man can learn new tricks).
11. Top 3 things left on your bucket list?
- Learning to bunny hop
- Learn Spanish
- Travel to random places
12. You’re happiest when…
I am not hungry.
13. What is your most treasured possession?
Everything I have right now.
14. Top highlight of your life:
Holding my son after he was born.
15. What is your most memorable moment at Zoomph?
When one of the busiest men in Washington, D.C. completely disrupted a meeting by barging in and exclaiming, “I heard that the Zoomph guys are here today!”
16. What has been the greatest innovation and/or team achievement that you’ve witnessed while at Zoomph?
I have run out of fingers and toes counting them all in the 16 months I have been here.