Employee Spotlight: Robert ScullinJanuary 05, 2016
The start of a brand new year has our Zoomph team brimming with excitement. One source of that excitement is our new Employee Spotlight series, which we’ll be releasing a few times each month to shed light on the brains and personalities behind our platform. Needless to say, it’s our exceptional staff who keep us growing and on the cutting edge of social media– and so, beginning with Mr. Robert Scullin, we’d like to recognize our staff individually for their hard work and remarkable commitment to our company’s values and visions.
Since the start of our company, Robert Scullin has been a trusty member of our squad, operating on the back-end of our platform and managing the tangles of code that most of us would cower away from touching. To this day, Robert is still a dependable and essential part of our team, working as our Lead DevOps Engineer, who we can all agree has a fantastic head of hair and a brilliant sense of humor.
1. Before working at Zoomph, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I did grounds work for my high school many summers ago. Being outside was nice; moving (literal) tons of boxes was less nice.
2. Three words to describe Zoomph:
(To describe my Dev team) sarcastic, close-knit, fantastic
3. Your social media guru?
4. What would people never guess that you do in your role?
Handle an endless sea of little IT tasks that spring up.
5. If you were to write a self-help book, what would the topic be?
How to use Google to solve most of your issues
6. What is your personal philosophy?
Try to have fun every day, and never stop learning.
7. What would you like to be famous for?
I’d rather be well known for research in the tech field than widely famous for something more general.
8. What emoji describes you best?
9. What’s your most overused word, phrase, or hashtag?
YOLO. Started using it sarcastically… ended up using it regularly.
10. What is the most important thing you’ve learned in the last five years?
The importance of learning how to implement an idea in practice, rather than just theoretically knowing how to do something.
11. Top 3 things left on your bucket list?
- Visit every continent
- Go to more National Parks
- Present a talk at a conference
12. You’re happiest when…
I’m learning something or having a good conversation with friends.
13. What is your most treasured possession?
My photo collection.
14. Top 3 Highlights of your life:
- Visiting Yosemite National Park with my family
- Traveling to Europe
- Working at Zoomph
15. What is your proudest moment at Zoomph?
Continuously hearing how our customers love our platform, and knowing that I’ve helped play a role in that accomplishment.
16. What has been the greatest innovation/team achievement that you’ve witnessed while at Zoomph?
Growing from a very small, limited platform where we were happy to get one trial account for the day to a much more powerful and featured platform where the site sells itself.