Everything You Need to Know to Give your Next Influencer Marketing Campaign a BOOSTApril 22, 2015
Gone are the days when brands targeted the mass and tried convincing a large chunk of people (with varied interests and engagement levels) to buy their product / service. The mass marketing strategy is a relic of some bygone era. With so much action happening on social media every single day, there is an increasing demand for a brand to know exactly WHO they should be talking to in order to get the maximum ROI for their marketing dollars.
Enter – ZPoints™. A simple and effective way of determining influential people surrounding your brand. So, who are ‘influencers’ really? Well, influencers are people characterized as a community of social media trendsetters who know the ins and outs of their topic of interest. They are people who are writing, socializing, and sharing content about topics that are relevant to YOUR business. Think of them as a mutual friend connecting you and your target audience. As Jay Baer rightly puts it –
“True influence drives action, and not just awareness.”
Here are some statistics:
- 70% of marketers plan to increase their spend on social advertising, and another 70% plan to increase their dollars on “organic social” (Adweek)
- 74% of consumers identify Word of Mouth (WOM) as a key influencer in their purchasing decisions. (Ogilvy/Google/TNS)
Okay, how do I go about getting these influencers to talk about my brand?
Once you have identified your “influencers” (tip – ZPoints™. makes this SUPER easy for you!) start building a relationship with them, pretty much the same way you do with your friends –
- Get to know them better and gain their trust (engaging with them on social is a great first step!)
- Make sure you highlight their contributions through your own media channels – social media, event displays, twitter widgets for your website, and guest blogs to recognize them as experts of your product / service.
- Show them appreciation. Just like building a friendship, tell them you appreciate them will go a long way
- And, while you are doing this, chances are that they would have already started talking about you through their social channels.
And, like every relationship – this one too, needs some TLC. You can do this by giving your influencers access to “first-to-know” information about your product, exclusive event passes for a chance to ‘interact’ with the brand, or coverage in one of your social channels.
Depending on your marketing budget, you may be able to rope in a celebrity or a popular person on any of the social networks (read: the Don Draper’s of social media!)
Here’s an example of how Coco-Cola leverages some popular Vine-ers (popular people on the social network Vine) to engage its audiences – especially millennials. To give an example, here’s Cody Johns a 24-year old Florida native urging people to #ShareACoke. This vine gave Coca-Cola’s social presence an instant boost! Clearly, the company got their audience as well as the messaging right! Now, doesn’t that sound like a marketers DREAM?
What’s in it for me?
As you can see influencers can prove extremely crucial in letting you break through the clutter of flooded inboxes and feeds carrying an overload of advertised content. It provides your brand the ability to target niche audiences and tap into new markets and consumers.
A big WIN for you as a marketer!
Closer home, here is a look at how some brands have successfully leveraged ZPoints™. to reach influencers and widen the reach of their campaigns:
Cloudera Federal Forum an event run by Gov Exec used ZPoints™ to create an influencer leader board and showcase the most popular (read: influential) tweets on the big screen at the event. The more an ‘influencer’ saw his tweets come up, the more he participated bringing up the engagement numbers of the event!
Here’s another one from the NYC TCS Marathon where ZPoints™ were used to:
- Showcase tweets and Instagram posts by influencers
- Geo-locate the data based on the locations from where the updates were coming from